Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Week 6 or so

The week of the Fourth was slow at the office.  The headcount was under 10 people a couple times in my department.  Nonetheless, the week was a blur of last minute travels: Martha’s Vineyard the weekend before the holiday, Rhode Island for the holiday, and finally my hometown the weekend after the holiday.  This partially explains why I haven’t written any posts recently.

The internship is still somewhat slow.  There are days with a good amount of work which is due in a timely fashion (usually Mondays).  Otherwise, the long term projects have taken a relatively short amount of time in relation to the time allowed for them.  I recently lost a project when something bureaucratic which I’m not entitled to know about delayed its timeframe outside of the summer analyst employment dates.  To pick up the slack, the duty of building the skeleton of the 2013 budget for our group has been handed to me.  I look forward to being involved in tweaking the baseline budget, because that is when it should get more interesting.

This internship’s redeeming qualities do prevail.  My manger understands that I may not be spending the rest of my life in Anti Money Laundering, so he has been giving me good projects that will develop transferrable skills.  I am one of the busiest of the five interns here and definitely the one with the best relationship with my manager.  My projects make a real difference here and I get to work with people around the world. 

My sights are set on a front office job.  The lack of stress here gives me the feeling of underachievement.  I attended my first class at the Investment Banking Institute, a financial modeling class run by ex-bankers, last night.  The first class was very enjoyable despite the fact that it extended my day substantially (left my dorm @ 8 AM and got home @ 11 PM).  The class was intellectually stimulating, which was refreshing after a particularly slow day at the office.  I’m looking forward to the coming sessions and getting to know the instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment